If you like banana bread, you are going to LOVE this double chocolate banana bread. What could be better than an amazing dessert, taking that dessert, and adding chocolate? This banana bread has a such a delicious chocolatey banana flavor, and it's LOADED with chocolate chips. It's delicious!
Double chocolate banana bread
Adapted from my Nutella Banana Bread, this recipe was born. I sort of knocked chocolate banana bread for a LONG time because I loved a classic banana bread so much. But this recipe puts up a good fight. It is a dense and moist cake with such a delicious chocolatey banana flavor.
If you need to run to the grocery store, here is your shopping list:
- All purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Mash your bananas in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Beat in the yogurt and mashed bananas until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat until a batter forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until fully incorporated into the batter. Pour the batter into a 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Other recipes you may like
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cups (219 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (40 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter room tempertature
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) plain yogurt - greek or regular works! room temperature
- 1 ¼ (about 2-3 medium-sized bananas) cup (250 grams) mashed banana
- 1 cup (180 grams) chocolate chips I like mini!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) and line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash your bananas in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, or a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until lighter in color and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until combined, scraping down the bottom and sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the yogurt and mashed banana and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until a batter forms. Fold in the chocolate chips until fully incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and top with more chocolate chips. Bake for 50-60 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Start checking the loaf at 45 minutes (all ovens differ) and check every 5 minutes thereafter.
- Let cool in the pan, slice and enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate and review and tag @sturbridgebakery on Instagram!