Okay, these muffins gave me a run for my money. I wanted to make the PERFECT bakery style chocolate chip muffins and it took me four tries to get it right. Which is shocking, because nothing seems more simple than a chocolate chip muffin. However it's more complicated than you think.
For starters, the batter is thick so you are going to want to keep mixing it, but DON'T. Second, to get that perfect rise/dome-top of a bakery muffin, there needs to be the right ratio of leavening agents. On my first try, they completely sank - I basically made a muffin bowl which, honestly, seems perfect to top with some ice cream. So I kept that baking fail. On my next try, they didn't sink, but they also didn't rise as high as I wanted. On my third try, I over filled the muffin cups and they overflowed alllllllll over the muffin tin! Then on my fourth try, I finally got it right and let me tell you, I am SOOOOO happy I kept trying because these muffins are out of this world. They are light, they are fluffy, they have a perfect amount of chocolate chips and the streusel topping makes these chocolate chip muffins to DIE for.
I always love when I have muffins because they pair perfectly with my morning cup of coffee. But they also do a dang good job as dessert. Either way, they're amazing! Hope you enjoy!
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins with Streusel Topping
- 2 cups all purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk room temperature
- ½ cup plain yogurt room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter cold and cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin cups. First, make the streusel topping. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, all purpose flour and butter and mix with your hands until combined. It will be crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, both sugars, and eggs. Then add the vanilla extract, buttermilk and yogurt and mix until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add chocolate chips and mix until incorporated. Do not over-mix. Portion out the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Top with the streusel.
- Allow the muffins to bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then, without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 12-17 minutes. The muffins are finished when a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!