Homemade Twix Bars are a SUPERIOR candy. There is nothing more perfect than the combination of shortbread, caramel and chocolate. Not to mention, making it from home is SO easy and makes me feel so much butter about eating 6 in one sitting.
Homemade Twix bars
I think I can confidently say that Twix bars are high up on my list when it comes to favorite candy. The combination of a shortbread biscuit smothered in caramel and topped off with chocolate, I mean, there is nothing better. I was always the type of person who would grab a chocolate bar over a sour candy at the movies, and Twix was always my go-to (in addition to cookie dough bites, but that's for another day).
This recipe makes 16 equally sized bars, and they can be kept in the fridge or freezer, so they are right there when you're craving something a little sweet!
If you need to run to the grocery store, here is your shopping list:
- Ingredients for my Homemade Caramel
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- Vegetable oil
- Make the caramel. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the shortbread and bake for 20 minutes. Pour the cooled caramel over the shortbread and put in the fridge to set for about 2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate and vegetable oil together in a bowl. Cut the bars and drop each piece into the melted chocolate, making sure it is fully coated.
- Place the bars on a piece of parchment paper and in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened. Enjoy!
Other recipes you may like
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brownie Marbled Chocolate Chip Cookies
Homemade Twix Bars
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups (156 grams) all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (360 grams) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips/chopped chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Prepare the caramel through step 6 of the linked caramel recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8x8 inch or 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper, making sure there is overhang on all sides. This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter and granulated sugar and whisk until completely combined and the mixture has a glossy finish. It will take about a minute of whisking to get it to this consistency.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk until combined. Add the flour and salt and whisk until a batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes until the edges are set and lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Once the shortbread is cool, pour the cooled caramel over the shortbread, spreading it into an even layer. Cover the pan and put it in the fridge to set for two hours or overnight, or in the freezer for one hour.
Preparing the bars
- Once the caramel is set, remove the bars from the pan using the parchment paper overhang and place them on a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the bars into 16 equally sized pieces, measuring approximately 3 inches long by ¾ inch wide. Wipe the knife clean in between each cut - this will ensure you have clean, smooth cuts.
- Place the bars in the fridge or freezer to keep them set while you melt the chocolate.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and vegetable oil and microwave in 20 second increments, stirring between each until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Or you can do this on the stovetop.
- Gently drop each Twix Bar into the chocolate, using a fork to turn the bar over so it is completely covered in chocolate. Remove it from the chocolate and place it on a piece of parchment paper.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the Twix Bars. Place the bars in the fridge or freezer until they are completely set and the chocolate has hardened. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.