If I'm at a dinner party, BBQ, or any event where there is a dessert table, the first thing I am grabbing is a chocolate chip cookie. They are the OG dessert, and browning the butter just makes them allllll the better. These brown butter chocolate chip cookies have soft chewy centers, crispy edges and are loaded with chocolate chips.
How do you brown butter?
Browning butter is so easy and adds the most incredible flavor. To brown your butter, add it to a medium sauce pan over medium heat and let it melt. It will start to crack and sizzle - let it do this while stirring occasionally. After five minutes or so, the butter will bubble up and calm down. When it does this, it is finished. Transfer it to a small bowl to let cool down a bit. And there you go, you have brown butter! We use this melted butter in the cookie dough so there is no need to wait for it to become hard again.
What ingredients do I need for these brown butter chocolate chip cookies?
For the cookie dough, you will need:
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
Do I need to chill the dough?
This cookie dough shouldn't spread too much, but I suggest chilling the dough for at least an hour so it is firm and holds its shape. For all cookie dough, especially those with brown butter, I actually like to chill it over night - I feel as though it really enriches the flavor.
I hope you absolutely love this brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe! If you are looking for other cookie recipes, definitely check out my Coffee Oreo Chocolate Chunk Cookies because they are also uh-mazing. Xoxoxo
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips I like mini semi-sweet chocolate chips for these!
- First, brown your butter. Add it to a sauce pan over medium heat and let it melt. It will start to crack and sizzle - let it do this while stirring occasionally. After five minutes or so, the butter will bubble up and calm down. When it does this, it is finished. Transfer it to a small bowl to let cool down a bit. About 5 minutes in the refrigerator.
- While the butter is cooling, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the melted and browned butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium speed until combined. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until a dough forms. Add your chocolate chips and stir them in until evenly incorporated. Cover the dough with tin foil or plastic wrap and let it chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- When the dough has 5-10 minutes left to chill, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahreinheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the dough and place them 2-3 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, flipping the pan half way through, until the edges are set and the cookies are golden brown. Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool more. Enjoy while warm if you desire! Cookies will last for 4-5 days in an airtight container.