Oh my gosh - powdered donuts - a CLASSIC. I do not know why it has taken me so long to put these classic baked powdered donuts on Sturbridge Bakery. They are so easy to make and only have a few simple ingredients. I PROMISE you will love them.
Key Ingredients for powdered donuts
For the batter, you will need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
For the coating, you will need:
- Powered sugar
Making the powdered donuts batter
Start off by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a donut pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Set this aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, whole milk, yogurt and vanilla extract until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until a batter forms. The batter will be thick, so do not worry!
Preparing the donut cavities
The easiest way to fill the donut cavities, in my opinion, is to put the batter into a piping bag/ziplock bag with the tip cut off, and pipe the batter into the donut cavities. If you cannot do this, carefully spoon the batter into the cavities. Bake the donuts for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown. If you press your finger into the donuts, they should bounce back.
Coating the donuts
Once the donuts are cool enough to handle, prepare your coating! Place the powdered sugar in a large ziplock/brown paper bag. Take 2-3 donuts at a time and shake them around in the powdered sugar-filled paper bag until they are completely covered in sugary goodness. Then, enjoy!
Baked Powdered Donuts
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) brown sugar packed
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113 mL) whole milk room temperature
- ½ cup (120 grams) yogurt room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
Preparing the batter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a donut pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until a batter forms. It will be thick.
- Gently spoon the batter into the donut cavities, or pipe them in using a piping bag/ziplock bag with the tip cut off (preferred method). Bake for 11-12 minutes until they are golden brown. To test, gently press your finger into the donut. It is ready if the donut bounces back.
Coating the donuts
- While your donuts are cooling, place the powdered sugar into a large zip lock/brown paper bag. Once the donuts are cool, place 2-3 donuts in the bag at once and shake them around so they become fully coated in powdered sugar. Then enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate and review and tag @sturbridgebakery on Instagram!