This pumpkin roll has a fluffy, pumpkin cake layered with cream cheese frosting, which is all wrapped up in a beautiful & festive roll cake. It looks super impressive on your holiday dessert table, tastes delicious, and is not as complicated as it looks!
This post is sponsored by Simply Organic. All opinions are my own - thank you for supporting the brands that make Sturbridge Bakery possible!
Pumpkin is a classic Thanksgiving flavor, and while I love pumpkin pie, this pumpkin roll is a great way to switch things up! The cake is flavored from pumpkin puree, warm spices like cinnamon & pumpkin spice, and sweet vanilla.
This pumpkin roll cake was made using my favorite products from Simply Organic! Their organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract, Cinnamon & Pumpkin Spice are my favorite spices to grab off the shelves and use in my holiday bakes!
Why you will love this pumpkin roll
- Delicious flavors. This pumpkin roll cake is incredibly flavorful from the vanilla, warm cinnamon & pumpkin, earthy pumpkin puree, and tangy cream cheese icing.
- Beautiful presentation. This dessert naturally looks impressive with its swirls of cake & fluffy cream cheese icing, all dusted with powdered sugar.
- Simple steps. I know it looks complicated, but I actually think a roll cake is rather simple when taking certain precautions (that are outlined in the recipe). In my opinion, roll cakes are easier to make than layer cakes.
- Perfectly shareable. The cake is easily sliceable, making it a perfect treat to share with your loved ones!
- All purpose flour: provides the structural base for the cake, ensuring a tender texture.
- Leavening agents: both baking powder & baking soda are use to create a light and fluffy cake.
- Cinnamon & pumpkin spice: I used Simply Organic's Cinnamon & Pumpkin Spice in this recipe for the best flavor.
- Eggs: adds moisture & acts as a binding agent.
- Sugar: both brown sugar & granulated sugar provide sweetness, depth, and moisture to the cake. Powdered sugar is also used in the frosting, as well as in the rolling process of the cake.
- Vanilla: Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract from Simply Organic should be used for the best flavor in both the cake and the cream cheese icing!
- Pumpkin puree: adds an earthy flavor to the cake & that deep orange pumpkin color.
- Cream cheese: block cream cheese should be used in the frosting - ensure it is room temperature for a super smooth filling.
- Unsalted butter: used in the frosting to create structure & that rich, buttery taste.
- Prepare pan. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a 10x15-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and salt.
- Beat wet ingredients. In a large bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add pumpkin puree and mix.
- Combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to gradually combine.
- Bake & roll. Spread the batter evenly on the prepared sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes until the cake springs back when touched. While warm, lift the cake onto a sugared towel, peel off parchment, and tightly roll with the towel. Let it cool completely.
- Make the frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter together, then add the vanilla, salt, and one cup of the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- Unroll and fill. Gently unroll the cooled cake, spread the cream cheese frosting and tightly re-roll without the towel. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour for the frosting to set.
- Trim & dust. Trim the sides for a neat presentation, dust with powdered sugar, and enjoy
Cracking can happen if the cake is over-baked or if it isn't rolled immediately after being removed from the oven. Ensure you roll the cake gently when it's still hot - the colder it is, the more likely it will crack.
Dust the towel generously with powdered sugar before rolling. This helps create a barrier to prevent sticking.
This is fine as the cake will go into the fridge for the frosting to set and then the edges will be trimmed. But if the filling is still leaking after the cake has chilled, there probably wasn't enough powdered sugar added to the mixture. The frosting should be thicker but spreadable.
Wrap the cake and store it in an airtight container if planning to eat within a day or two. For longer storage, put in the fridge or freezer.
Baking in grams
I rely on gram measurements when testing recipes because they offer the highest level of accuracy (and less cleanup!). Unlike volume measurements, which can vary, grams provide a reliable and consistent standard. I carefully test all of my recipes using this kitchen scale, therefore I cannot guarantee the outcome when using volume measurements. However, volume measurements are available in the recipe card.
Other warmly spiced recipes
Have you tried this recipe? I would love to know how it turned out! Leave a star rating & review below and tag @sturbridgebakery on Instagram so I can see photos & videos of your yummy bakes! Want to save this recipe for later? Tap the heart button on the right side of your screen!
This post may contain affiliate links.
- ¾ cup (94 grams) all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pumpkin Spice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup (100 grams) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup (160 grams) canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup powdered sugar for rolling
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz (226 grams) block cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3-4 cups (420-480 grams) powdered sugar
- Please read the instructions thoroughly before beginning. This will ensure that you are prepared & set up for success!
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 10x15 inch baking sheet pan with nonstick spray. This will help the parchment paper stick down onto the pan. Lightly spray the parchment paper as well.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and salt until combined. Set aside.¾ cup all purpose flour, ¾ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pumpkin Spice, ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Combine the eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl - use a whisk or beat the mixture until smooth and fluffy.3 eggs, ½ cup light brown sugar, ½ cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix until combined.⅔ cup canned pumpkin puree
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients. Gradually begin whisking until all of the flour is combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spread the batter into an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cake springs back when poked with a finger.
- While the cakes are baking, lay a thin kitchen towel flat and dust it with powdered sugar. When the cake has finished baking, immediately lift the cake out of the pan with the parchment paper and place it on a cooling rack. Use the cooling rack to invert the cake out onto the sugared towel. You don’t need to use a cooling rack, I just find it to be easier.¼ cup powdered sugar
- Gently peel back the parchment paper, then, beginning with the 10 inch side, gently & tightly roll up the cake with the towel.
- Allow the cake to cool completely while rolled up in the towel. I usually let it cool at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes, then in the fridge to cool completely. Letting the cake cool rolled in the towel will make unrolling & re-rolling with the filling much easier, because it will already have its shape.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, remove it from the fridge & let it sit at room temperature while you make the frosting.
- Beat together the cream cheese & butter until smooth & combined. Add the vanilla extract, salt, and one cup of the powdered sugar and beat, beginning on low speed so the sugar doesn’t fly out of the bowl, then bumping it up to high speed.8 oz block cream cheese, ½ cup unsalted butter, 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract, 1 pinch of salt, 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat until combined. Once fully combined, beat again on high speed for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
- Gently and slowly unroll the cake. Flatten it on your surface then gently spread the cream cheese frosting on in an even layer, leaving a ½ inch border on the 15 inch sides unfrosted (these will be trimmed).
- Roll the cake back up without the towel, gently and tightly, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least one hour so the frosting can set. Once the cake has chilled, gently trim the sides for presentation. Dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate and review and tag @sturbridgebakery on Instagram!