Salted caramel brownies are brownies that are baked with a THICK layer of salted caramel, and smothered with salted caramel on top. They are fudgy and decadent, SUPER chocolatey, and have the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
Salted caramel brownies
You guys, if there is one brownie recipe you should make from my blog, it's this one. They are so simple and easy to make, but incredibly rich and decadent with every single bite. There are two main components of these salted caramel brownies:
- The brownies: of course! They are sooooo fudgy (my preferred type of brownie). These brownies are made from using cocoa powder (as opposed to melted chocolate) so make sure to splurge on the good quality stuff!
- The caramel: the caramel makes these brownies *mwah* chef's kiss! A layer of caramel is baked in the brownies, then more is smothered on top. Top with flaky sea salt and you have yourself one dang delicious dessert.
Ingredients for salted caramel brownies
If you need to run to the grocery store, here is your shopping list:
- Ingredients for my Homemade Caramel
- Instant coffee granules + water (optional)
- Unsalted butter: unsalted butter is my favorite to use in baked goods because you can control exactly how much salt goes into your recipe. We use a lot of butter in this recipe, so make sure to splurge on the good stuff!
- Powdered sugar: powdered sugar is the sugar of choice because it is fine enough so it can dissolve in the butter which is key for that crackly top.
- Eggs: eggs add moisture and bind all of the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour: all purpose flour is the flour of choice for these brownies. It provides the perfect texture!
- Cocoa powder: cocoa powder adds the rich chocolatey flavor that is expected in a brownie.
- Make the salted caramel and set aside to cool and thicken.
- Make the brownie batter. Pour half of the brownie batter into the pan, layer with ¾ of the caramel, then pour the other half of the brownie batter. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Once the brownies are cool, top with the other ¼ of salted caramel, slice and enjoy!
Other recipes you may like
Salted Caramel Brownies
- Homemade Caramel
- ¾ cup (94 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (120 grams) cocoa powder unsweetened regular cocoa powder or dutch processed cocoa powder works!
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules + 1 teaspoon water optional
- 1 ¼ cups (283 grams) unsalted butter melted
- 4 ¼ cups (510 grams grams) powdered sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare the caramel through step 6 of the linked caramel recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) and line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper with overhang on at least two sides. This will make it easier to remove the brownies from the pan. Set aside.
- I suggest having all the ingredients out and measured to make this process easier.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- If using the coffee, combine the instant coffee granules and water in a small bowl until the granules are completely absorbed. This is optional but recommended - the coffee really deepens the chocolate flavor.
- In a separate, microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and powdered sugar. Melt the two together in the microwave in 30 second increments, whisking in between each increment. I typically microwave it 4-5 times. Whisk them together until completely smooth and the powdered sugar is dissolved in the butter. It should almost look like melted white chocolate. You can also melt them together on the stove.
- Meanwhile, whip your eggs. Crack the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or a medium sized bowl if using a handheld mixer), and beat them on medium speed for 4-5 minutes until they are a paler yellow color and foamy.
- Once the eggs are done whipping, pour in the hot butter/sugar mixture. Whip them together on medium speed for two minutes. Add the vanilla and coffee mixture (if using) and whip until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt and fold together (not whisk) until a batter forms. Whisking will knock out all of the air you just added by whipping the eggs.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- Pour ¾ of the salted caramel onto the brownie batter and spread into an even layer.
- Pour the other half of the brownie batter onto the caramel. Spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes (begin checking at 35 minutes - bake times vary depending on your oven). The edges will be set and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let them sit in the pan until completely cool/still slightly warm. Top with the remaining ¼ of caramel. Sprinkle flaky sea salt if desired. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate and review and tag @sturbridgebakery on Instagram!