These chocolate stuffed sandwich cookies are too good. Two shortbread cookies are sandwiched together with a chocolate buttercream filling. They are perfectly bite sized and super easy to make.
Chocolate stuffed sandwich cookies
These cookies are amazing because, well, they're sandwich cookies. And two cookies are better than one. The cookies are an amazing shortbread cookie - so they're buttery, sweet and they melt in your mouth.
The filling that holds these two cookies together is a delectable chocolate buttercream.
These cookies look involved and fancy, but they are actually super easy to make and will most definitely be a fan favorite.
Surprisingly, these chocolate stuffed sandwich cookies have some pretty common ingredients. So you most likely already have the ingredients in your pantry! But if not, here is your grocery list:
- Unsalted butter is a crucial ingredient in shortbread cookies, so make sure to splurge on some good quality butter! We also use butter in the filling, so that is just another reason to buy the good stuff.
- Granulated sugar is more commonly used than brown sugar in shortbread cookies, so that's what we use here.
- Egg yolks are used in the cookie dough to bind the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract and salt are used to enhance the flavor of the cookies.
- All purpose flour is the key to a soft, melt-in-your-mouth cookie. It provides the perfect texture and crumb!
- We use powdered sugar to sweeten up the buttercream frosting.
- Cocoa powder is added to the buttercream for the best chocolatey flavor. I use just regular unsweetened cocoa powder, but if dutch processed cocoa powder is all you have, that works too!
- If your buttercream needs some thinning, we can add some whole milk or heavy cream to the mix.
How to make the cookies
- Make the cookie dough and chill the dough for about an hour.
- Roll out the cookie dough and use a small circular cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, make the chocolate buttercream filling.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, either dollop or pipe a bit of buttercream on the backside of one cookie. Place a second cookie on top and sandwich them together.
I hope you guys love these cookies! Happy baking, xoxoxo.
Other cookie recipes you may like
Chocolate Stuffed Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups (281 grams) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
Chocolate Buttercream Filling
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (300 grams) powdered sugar
- ¾ cup (60 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined, scraping down the bottom and sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the flour and salt and beat on low-medium speed until a dough forms. The dough will be thick. Turn the dough out of the bowl and shape it into a log. Wrap it in cling wrap and refrigerate the dough for one hour.
- Once the dough has chilled for an hour, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out until it is about ¼ inch thick. Use a small circular cookie cutter to cut out the cookies, placing them on the baking sheet about an inch apart. They will not spread much. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until LIGHTLY golden. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool compltely.
- While the cookies are baking and cooling, make the buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt and mix on low speed for 30 seconds and then mix on high speed until completely combined.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of milk/heavy cream tablespoon by tablespoon until you get your desired consistency.
Assembling the Cookies
- Once the cookies are completely cool, dollop or pipe a bit of buttercream over the backside of one cookie. Place a second cookie on top and sandwich together. Repeat with the rest of the cookies. Enjoy!