Coffee ice cream is one of my favorite flavors, and this creamy no churn coffee chocolate chip ice cream does not disappoint. It is so easy to make, has simple ingredients and easy instructions, and you can add whatever mix-ins you want! It is the perfect no-bake option for an easy yet delicious summer dessert.
Why you will love this coffee chocolate chip ice cream
- It's no churn. When an ice cream recipe says no churn, all that basically means is that it does not require an ice cream maker. Which makes our lives SO much easier. All we have to do is whip up the batter and freeze!
- The flavors. This ice cream has such a distinct (but not overwhelming) coffee flavor. We use instant coffee so you can really control the strength of the coffee flavor. If you want more, simply add more coffee granules. If you want less, simply decrease the amount of coffee granules.
- The texture. This ice cream recipe is so creamy. Before I scoop and serve, I like to let the ice cream sit out at room temperature for 5-10 minutes so it becomes slightly soft and extra creamy and delicious.
- Heavy cream: make sure to use good quality heavy cream because we use A LOT of it here.
- Sweetened condensed milk: the sweetened condensed milk is the sweetener in this recipe. It also adds to the creamy texture.
- Instant coffee: the star flavor! Instant coffee granules are used for the perfect amount of coffee flavoring. Feel free to adjust to your liking.
- Chocolate chips: you can use mini chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, chocolate chunks, etc.! Also, you can go with any cacao % here - milk, semi-sweet, bittersweet, or dark chocolate all work!
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, mix together the instant coffee and water until all of the coffee granules are dissolved.
- Add the heavy cream and whip on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until soft/medium peaks form. Be careful not to over-whip.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and fold to combine.
- Add in the chocolate chips and fold until evenly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a standard loaf pan/8 or 9 inch cake pan/etc. Freeze for 12 hours or overnight.
Coffee chocolate chip ice cream making tips
- Don't over-whip the heavy cream. As someone who has done this before, try not to turn on your mixer and just walk away. If you over-whip the cream, it will become very thick, heavy, and almost curdled looking. If this happens, add a little more heavy cream and gently fold by hand until smooth.
- Use a cold bowl. It is best to whip heavy cream when it is straight from the fridge and the bowl is cold. Heavy cream does not whip up as well when it's warm, so I like the put the bowl in the fridge or freezer 10 minutes before I begin.
Here are some of my favorite toppings I have tried on this ice cream, but use whatever the heck you want. Ice cream has no rules.
- Crushed Oreos
- Gummy bears
- Rainbow/chocolate sprinkles
- Hot fudge
- Candied nuts (walnuts are great!)
Baking in grams
While I provide volume measurements for the recipes on my blog, I highly suggest baking these recipes using weight. It is the most standardized and accurate way to bake. I carefully recipe test all of my recipes using a kitchen scale, not by using cups, and therefore I cannot guarantee the success of my recipes when using volume measurements.
Other ice cream recipes you may like
- Apple Crumble Ice Cream Cake
- Lucky Charms Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Chocolate Cone Ice Cream (No Churn)
- Coffee Oreo Ice Cream (No Churn)
Coffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (No Churn)
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups (480 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup (90 grams) mini chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, mix together the instant coffee and water until the coffee granules have dissolved.
- Add the heavy cream and mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form - about 2-3 minutes.
- Fold the sweetened condensed milk into the coffee whipped cream until combined.
- Add the mini chocolate chips (or mix-in of choice!) and fold until evenly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 inch cake pan, standard loaf pan, storage container, etc., and freeze for at least 12 hours or over night. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate and review and tag @sturbridgebakery on Instagram!